Subsidized hybrid teaching workshop series at Lehman

Lehman College is offering faculty the opportunity to participate in a 5 month-long hybrid teaching workshop series. This program will be limited to ten experienced and novice adjunct and full-time faculty members and, through a hybrid/blended format will integrate discussion and analysis of teaching and learning needs to provide thoughtful application of new media.

WORKSHOPS WILL BE HELD FRIDAYS (TIME TBD) BEGINNING DECEMBER: DECEMBER 9, SYNCHRONOUS ONLINE IN JANUARY Sunday TBD, FEBRUARY 3, MARCH 9, APRIL 27. 

Participants will receive a $500 stipend upon successful completion of the above requirements.

Topics to be covered:

-Building an effective online syllabus

-Managing the online classroom: scaffold the learning with on-target procedures
-Managing student communication/reduce email
-Introducing teamwork to utilize online collaboration spaces
-Individual accountability: Answers to the ‘free rider’ problem in the classroom
-Ethics of and issues in social networking when placing student work online
– Hands-on with tools: Blogger, Wikispaces, Google Apps, Voicethread iClickers

What will the requirements be?

* Attend a minimum of five 3 hour live workshops (one of which will be conducted synchronous online);
* Participate in a facilitated online BlackBoard forum from January – May 2012 in which each faculty participant will mentor and be mentored by another participant.
* Contribute to either or both: a February round table discussion on Hybrid Teaching and Learning at Lehman or a Blended Learning Showcase Event to be held in May. (Dates TBD)
* Complete a peer-reviewed course conversion from on-ground to hybrid online for summer or fall 2012 that illustrates instructional techniques and strategies suited for a blended classroom.
* One faculty or adjunct member will have the opportunity to participate in a Sloan-C Blended Learning Conference to be held in Milwaukee Wisconsin April 23-24 2012 and present their experience at the Lehman year-end showcase.

* WORKSHOPS WILL BE HELD FRIDAYS (TIME TBD) BEGINNING DECEMBER: DECEMBER 9,
SYNCHRONOUS ONLINE SUNDAY IN JANUARY TBD, FEBRUARY 3, MARCH 9, APRIL 27.

For an application see the Lehman Faculty Development documents section or contact
Alyson Vogel: alyson.vogel@lehman.cuny.edu 347 577-4024 (In Lehman dial ext 4024)
Applications are being accepted until November 21, on a first come first served basis

About Alyson Vogel

I started in education 10 years ago starting a media center and television studio for students in District Ten in the Bronx. Middle school students and teachers were introduced to media and media literacy projects designed for active learning in real world contexts. For the past 5 years I have been an academic program developer, coach and workshop leader. I have significant expertise in course design, curriculum planning, online teaching, training, coaching & mentoring and major event logistics & execution. My emphasis is on integrating the Internet and new media into teaching and learning. My background in television and radio, teaching teachers in K-12 through Higher Education, professional life coaching, and yes, even my newly acquired professional chef skills brings depth to my latest position of Associate Director of Online Education at Lehman College. I am very excited to be among this group of professionals to take my understanding of the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning to even greater heights.
This entry was posted in Workshop notices and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.